Friday, February 4, 2011

Sigma Kappa Senior Speech

So, when the Senior Speech was called upon in our recruitment announcement email I originally thought that I may not fit the build seeing as I only lived in the house for a single semester, I never winked at a fraternity man, I don't wear pink and tatto Sigma Kappa doves on my body, but then I realized that my experience is equally as Sigma Kappa as my sister's.  Truthfully I do not make a particular habit if conforming to the confines of societal notions of normal and therefore I cannot attest to the label of a typical sorority girl.  But what I can insinuate is that my 7 semester as an active sister of Sigma Kappa have been more memorable than flashing lights, Hollywood dreams, epic love stories or moments framed by the timeless excellence of photography. For my story is one of acceptance, friends, sisterhood, growth, confidence, a little with hips, a big with heart, a silly Sigma, my own Kappas dopplegangers, late night talks, tears on the bottom bunk, Justin Beiber love stories, dougie dance lessons and moments I will never forget.  So her is my truth: truth is I came to 19 Allen because a friend said there was going to be ice cream, truth is I thought the house was precious, truth is I found diversity in a way that wasn't black and white but instead maroon and lavender, truth is it took me a little while to feel like I belonged, but truth is I always knew I was home, and I stayed home because of the love I found in my sisters.  Truth is I miss tye dying with my pledge sisters in Sylvan, truth is I miss new member meetings with Slade, truth is I miss pulling Fran,  Julia and Soky in snow tubes, I miss putting my heart into making a paddle for my beautiful Kappas, or texting Rachel my little face on the formal bus, I miss crafting with Emily and dancing with Tara, truth is I miss waking up on Saturday morning and sitting on the purples to hear of last nights moral choices, truth is ...I miss being where you are, because I miss knowing that the unknown was going to be the best time of my life.  In this sisterhood you will find your best friend, you will find a new outfit every saturday, you will find that you will make memories that last forever and you will find love in sisters that you never thought possible.  I may not like to talk about the fact that my undergrad career is wrapping up and mostly that's because I am not ready to leave these amazing women I call my sisters, but as I move forward in my life I will smile ever time I think of 19 Allen St. and the woman I am for accepting my bid that chilly evening on the 27th of February 2008.  But what I will always know to be true, as my Sigma Kappa experience what that the beginning started here.

No comments:

Post a Comment